Saturday, July 3, 2010

The sun still shines

Normally Zululand (Tugela River to Pongola) is really warm, but lately it is freezing cold! As far as I am concerned, anything below a maximum of 20 degrees Celsius is really cold. Normally if it gets that cold, it has snowed at Melmoth (like 100 kilometers away) or even at Nkandla, just inland from eShowe, which you can see the lights of at night from Mtunzini or even from just as you cross the Tugela River. I know that you can see the village of Mtunzini from eShowe. You can even see as far north as Port Durnford - not that this is far from Mtunzini - in fact Port Durnford is on the northern bank of the Umlalazi river, and Mtunzini is on the southern bank!

I know someone who farms up between Vryheid and Ulundi, who independantly feels that anything below 20 degrees celsius is cold - so either I am not so crazy, or I am in good company when I am in his company!

True it snows at Nkandla which is about 20 kilometers inland (and up quite a climb up the hills) of Mtunzini. I hate the cold (is hate a strong enough word?) the cold weather, as my accident damaged muscles tend to freeze up (that is what it feels like!) and I can barely move! Not so long ago (last winter) I went to see my doctor as the lump on my upper leg from the accident tended to feel the cold and was really painful. It turns out that the huge bruise that the truck impact left on my leg had caused the blood to congeal, and as the lymph system was damaged, it did not drain properly.

Anyway I was referred to a surgeon in Ballito (nice new hospital) and he operated on my leg - cut me from my bum to my knee, and drained the gunk out! It has removed the lump, and it feels so much easier to cope with, but the doctors can do nothing about my accident damaged muscles.

I was expected to be in hospital for 2 days, but when they opened me up, they saw the blockage, and cleared it. I was in hospital for a morning basically.

I still insist that I am allergic to:-
Bees (ever since I was stung by thousands)
Hospitals AND
Doctors.

Turns out that the damage should have been attended to whilst I was in a coma, but they had way more important (THE most important) things to worry about! If they had not, maybe I would not be here today - I very nearly was not!

No comments:

Post a Comment