Thursday, September 2, 2010

ZULULAND TRUE STORIES

Yesterday, I was hanging around Empangeni waiting until I was due to take a fellow Council member out to his first District Council meeting at the Chapel in Richards Bay. I bought a really fascinating book on the history of Zululand, from 1780 to 1978.

The Zulu people basically becane a united people under King Shaka in the 1760 region of time!

What is kind of shocking is that he had no children. That is not to say he did not get women pregnant, but he was fanatical about killing the foetus before it was born!
That is why his direct line stops with him, and the current royal household, is descended from his brother. The current king (Ling Goodwill Zweletini) lives in a palace up at Nongoma. I know that this must be a really incredible building. I have not seen it, but when a client that I was dealing with at the time was drawing the plans for my house, he was putting the finishing touches to the plans for the new Royal Residence. To this day the house that was designed for me is lived in by my parents, and is a brilliant building! I can imagine that a Royal Palace would have been built with more attention to detail!

Esikhawini developed as a housing estate for the workers at Alusaf! Strange that they import everything to Richards Bay (the electricity, the raw materials and the labour) process it locally, then export the metal ingots, then re-import aluminium sheets to manufacture things like Coke cans etcetera! What a waste of time and effort! Something else that stuns me is that they chip up the logs grown locally, export the chips to be glued together into pressboard, then re-import the pressboard to make things with! How can anything be cheap here?

Richards Bay started off as a fishing resort. The natural harbour was developed and now Richards Bay is a booming industrial town

No comments:

Post a Comment