Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Eshowe







I am kind of ashamed to admit that - 3 weeks before my 50th birthday - I shop at a local supermarket chain - as an official pensioner! When I was at school, I never considered that I would ever "retire"! When I first started work, I took out an insurance policy that I never thought that I would see mature, but it has matured!
Anyway, I shop in Eshowe - sometimes! On the way there and back, you pass through the Eshowe Pass, and I am convinced that you get better sea views from the Pass, than you get in most of Richards Bay - although your car rusts less in Eshowe than in the Bay.
I have found that I can use my digital camera from the driving seat - although I am not sure of the legality of this action! - and I can snap shots of interesting (to me at least) and amazing sights! I have taken to driving around with my camera in the centre console! I still have to get used to the idea that I can snap away at anything and can upload (fancy word that for publish!) my photos! It does not even cost me any extra, except that I spend time waffling away on my own website! I dont even need to keep - or publish - all of the shots that I take! I often see something on the road - strange roadsigns etc - and wish that I had a camera to preserve it for posterity!
I still smile at the sign that I saw between Vryheid and Newcastle! That warned "No road markings" which was not terribly amazing since the road surface had been graded up! No wonder there were no road markings - there was no road surface!
I am trying to improve the Home Teaching stats for R/Bay. I would like to see that everyone does their Hometeaching by the third saturday of the month, so that the Hometeaching can be reported by the third Sunday. Then we have a chance to chase up those who "forget" and the results must improve! I want to emphasize this, but am facing a massive mountain - are we ready to change our deadline for Hometeaching from 30/31 to 14/15th of a month? Surely if we chase up those who traditionally leave their HT to the last minute and find their families are out - doing their Hometeaching - we must surely see an eventual improvement! Surely if yopu traditionally go out on 30/31sr, it should take only a small change to your mindset to go out by 15th!
The secret to this is that I need to lead by example! Then I need to emphasise it in the Priesthood session on a Sunday! I was always amazed at how - everywhere in the world - the Elders Quorum Presidency goes on and on about Hometeaching. I thought it was a traditional Richards Bay problem, until I was in a Priesthood lesson in Costa Mesa! They were the same, and they could not even blame it on Zululand Fever - or the time delay - or anything!
That goes to show what not having to attend work for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, can do for you! You see things in a whole new light!

No comments:

Post a Comment