Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Light at the end of the tunnel

My GP today suggested that I would be able to use just my right hand crutch together with the moon boot, to walk. This is again a HUGE step forward as handling 2 crutches - and my car keys - was a bit tiresome. I can easily manage the one crutch. Luckily he recommended that I still retain the use of my right hand crutch, opposite to my injured foot! That way I can still keep pressure off of my heel, but still reserve the right to one of my Weapons of Mass Destruction, to maintain my balance!

As it is, I can walk for short distances without using my crutches, and this is - I believe - a good thing! Once I no longer need the moon boot, I definitely will need to be able to walk without crutches or moon boots!

Handling one crutch is far easier than handling 2 crutches, especially as my left hand crutch is so bulky - designed for me specifically since I cannot straighten my left arm!

So, I query, "Is this light at the end of the tunnel, or is it the headlight of an oncoming express train?" - time will tell!

Since I was maybe 2 or 3, I have been able to rely on my legs to get me around. At nearly 52, it rather grates to have to rely on 2 tubes of aluminium to get me around! I loathed being in hospital where I was confined, by circumstance, to the hospital bed! Then the only way I could get around to start with was in a wheelchair, and even once I started walking again, I had to push my wheelchair in front of me, hanging onto that for stability! Boy have I improved since then!

The only bright point about my hospital bed when I emerged from my coma was that from that, I could look out over the valley and see the spires of the Temple in Parktown. I distinctly imagined - before I walked - that I had gone downstairs, climbed over the wall, into the Temple Grounds. Practically this was not possible, but I felt a huge sense of love from Heavenly Father - kind of "Welcome home!"

No comments:

Post a Comment