Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Power?

Not so very long ago, it was reported that a swarm of bees had taken up residence in the chapel out at Esikhawini. This is not usually a problem, since the bees usually move off on their own - but not this time. The problem that arises is that in the coming heat, bees get somewhat angered and ignore their instinct that to sting means death - to them and to people like me! Sure I carry adrenelin ampoules and a syringe in case I get stung by even one bee, but I realise that if I get stung, I have maybe half an hour of consciousness before I die! The adrenelin gives me maybe an hours extra consciosness.

Last timed I was stung, I spent 4 days in the Intensive Care Unit at the local hospital. ICU costs way more than a simple bed in a ward, and I never saw the bill for the stay. It must have been somewhere in the region of R 100 000 - way more than it costs in a suite in a 5 Star hotel, and is not nearly as pleasant. First is all the noise around ICU. No matter how quiet they move, you hear it - and the food is frankly terrible! The only bright point was the Icecream and Jelly for desert - that the doctor freaked over. The bee venom in my system read as if I were suddenly seriously diabetic, and he refused to allow me to eat any sugar! I have monitored my blood sugar level since then, and it is regularly, too low!
I cannot even plan on driving to the nearest hospital, since the first thing that goes is my control over muscles - I cannot breathe properly, I cannot see properly, cannot stand and certainly cannot drive a vehicle - if I get stung. If I dont get relatively urgent medical assistance, I die!
Until I get assurance that the bees are GONE I cannot risk speaking on assignment out there!

I posted a note for discussion at our next District Council meeting, and received a prompt Email response from the District President that he had sent an Email to the Physical Facilities guy in Durban, pointing out that it needs to be attended to. We have to wait to see what transpires!

I would never have considered that I was powerful enough as to influence the Church in KZN to do something for the members out at Esikhawini - that by the way benefits my personal security! Summer IS coming - sometime - and heat drives bees crazy (I know this!) and I would hate for any of the members out there to go through even a part of what I suffered! Bee stings are not meant to be painless.

No comments:

Post a Comment