Sunday, June 27, 2010

What is current?

Yesterday (Saturday), the Elders Quorum (with me as First Counsellor) put on an activity where we showed a film for the branch. We chose to screen the film "Fireproof"

This film was seen first by the EQ President on DSTV and he felt it was worth the Quorum seeing it! Whilst the film was showing (the DVD being screened on the chapel screen) the EQ President and I fired up the braai's (Barbeque for the less civilised of you! :-) ) and put the Boerewors (Farmers Sausage - made from beef rather than pork) on to cook. About 20 minutes from the end of the film, the wors was cooked and we put it in the oven till the film was finished. As usual, only the faithful few were at the screening, but we all really enjoyed the Wors Rolls we made.

By all reports, the film was pronounced as excellent, and one High Priest admitted to having a tearful reaction. I had made 2 copies of the DVD - from rcordings from my DSTV - and gave one to him so that he can show it at a fireside at his home ward in Durban. I have the impression that it was a really successful quorum activity!

Typically, the general membership (and not only members, but everyone) in Zululand complain that there is NO ENTERTAINMENT, but when we show a great film - and cook them a simple supper - only the faithful attend! Just goes to show that you can take a horse to water, but you cannot make him drink!

I heard comments after the really successful screening that generally, they would appreciate similar screenings of the two Dan Brown films - "The Da Vinci Code", and "Angels and Demons". I am confident that this can hardly be classed as piracy, as we are not making any cash from the screenings - and the films are no longer on general screening! I anticipate that we can hold similar screenings every quarter or so! I know that the "Da Vinci Code" is somewhat contaversial, but pracically, the message of Jesus' Church is marriage and family. If Jesus had no experience of marriage, how could he hope to preach on marriage?

I am divorced, and I have an idea that this sad experience was gone through by me, to give me an insight into being a Church Leader who counsels troubled spouses (spice?) with marriage problems. Advice from someone who has experience with divorce, is more likely to be heeded than advice from someone who has never experienced this tragedy!

I have just noticed how I think that I can include photographs on my blog. I have digital camera's so I can publish photographs. I still have to photograph my two trusty steeds - my Landrover 4x4, V8 Auto (stunning vehicle) and my Porsche 944 - when I talk of my vehicles, I sound to be really wealthy, but I enjoy owning a 4x4 offroader AND a serious sports car! When we were growing up, we once heard a comment of "Look, it's a FAST car - it's yellow!" Blondie, my Porsche happens to be a really loud yellow!

No comments:

Post a Comment