Friday, September 2, 2011

Memories

I often wonder why bits of random information stick in your mind - almost like stick-it notes in your brain - forgotten most of the time, then something triggers a memory and these come flooding back!

I received a random Email from a contact who is researching a book that includes details on National Service at the very end of the existance of Rhodesia and the commencement of Zimbabwe as we know it now!

I was in the final intake of conscripts that were called up before National Service was officially called off!

I served in the Pay Office at the Cranborne barracks of the Rhodesian Light Infantry - RLI. When I was given the chance to join the Pay Office, I cheerfully volunteered, since I was sick and tired of lugging the FN Rifle that I was issued with as a troopie, EVERYWHERE. You HAD to carry it everywhere you went, on pain of serious military action against you. I HATED (with avengence) the lump of metal that was standard issue. You had to take it everywhere - to the mess hall for meals, to the bathroom for the traditional triple "S" (shit, shower and shave!) and when you had to march (or run) anywhere! A few soldiers left theirs next to the bed when they did their ablutions, and boy did they regret it! In a firefight, your weapon was of more use to you than your mother, your dog or even your girlfriend.

I dredged up some detail that I hope is correct and today I got 2 replies to my info dredging Email, in gratitude for the detail I provided! It was of tremendous help to someone who was not sure but my memory seems to be intact, and of help. Amazing what sticks in your brain!

I did not exactly relish being conscripted, but looking back, I can see that I actually enjoyed it! It was the first taste that I had of freedom to be an adult - earning a pittance as a NS soldier, but it was enough for pocket money. You were fed and clothed by the army, so the pittance we were paid, was good enough to buy a round of drinks at the Corporals Club in the barracks. The world thinks that the commissioned officers - those with stars on top of their shoulders - ran the army, but I am convionced that the real power players were the NCO's - or corporals! We were senior to the run of the mill troopies, and being in the pay office especially, the officers respected us - they had to because we directly controlled the true power behind the armed forces - their pay! They knew this as the one evening, the base was mortered and the loudest cry was that of "Save the Pay Clerks! I want a "Casual" tomorrow" - a casual was a casual advance on the salary - kind of like drawing cash from the Piggy Bank! Casuals were safer than keeping money in your boots, and were important for the evenings when you were out with your mates!

Civillians look on the arms (FN rifles and hand grenades) as the reason that an army exists, but I can assure everyone that in a firefight, the main concern is not for "Ammunition" but for "cash!"

Being in the last intake of NS, Igot to see a whole lot more action than the soldiers who laughed at me volunteering for a "cushy" job in the Pay Corps. Most of these spent the 11 months in the army confined basically to barracks, and the Pay Office saw way more action. We went into the centre of camps where the "returning heroes" (terrorists) were housed - all armed to the teeth. As the Pay Office we were there, and the troopies who laughed at us, were all left in barracks, with nothing to do!

I was terrified of having to kill anyone, and in the Pay Office the most we ever murdered was a ball point pen! we were respected, by everyone (we controlled their pay) and were kind of Godlike in how we dealt with anyone and everyone! We were on close relations with junior officers, and were - as 2 stripe Corporals - way more influential than the troopies!

We progressed from the Troopies Canteen (the food was not great!) to the Corporals Club, where the food was not too bad! I certainly will never regret being in the Army.

That was way before I joined the LDS Church - which was quite fortunate. I used to drink a few beers - Servicemans food - and even if I was not over the moon at it, it was better than your average coke! That was before I found out the joys of wine - especially Red Wine, shortly before I gave up alcohol when I found that the LDS (Mormon) religion that has given me a reason to live!

No comments:

Post a Comment