Thursday, June 23, 2011

Crocodile



In virtually any stretch of open water in Africa, lies a pair of ladies shoes - with teeth. I felt prompted to come down this road and usually in the water next to this bridge, I see a very young croc - much smaller than this one! This one is still young, and it's parents must live nearby, probably a bit further downstream. The other side of the bridge, is a pool of water on a bend in the lazy river, and usually I get to see Wildebeeste drinking on the right of the bridge (this is taken looking left!)


Also just behind this view were several terrapins, also sunning themselves. I have had Elders say to me that they would really like to go for a swim, but I warn them that in pretty well any stretch of open water in Africa, lives a crocodile - or in this case, probably a family of crocs!


We saw plenty of other animals, but I have a lot of digital snaps that I have taken. Now I tend only to snap shots of unusual animals!


I said to the Elders just before we drove into the Hilltop camp, that I usually see Blue Wildebeeste nearby. As I finished saying this, a HUGE male Wildebeest crossed the road right in front of us! A bit after lunch, we drove up Manganeni Hill, and from a height saw a herd slowly moving towards the tar road between the Memorial Gate and the Hilltop Camp. When we drove down to this road, we had to halt as this herd crossed the road!


Driving up the road (wildly erroded dirt track) I had slipped my Discovery into 4 wheel drive and it made it so much easier to climb than I ever found in my Opel Corsa! I am sold on Off-road vehicles! I kind of have the attitude "I can so I do!" Goes with my other mantra "If not, then why not!"

No comments:

Post a Comment